Learning to Play Blackjack, the Simplest Way Possible
A simple game like blackjack needs no introduction. It is a staple in many online casinos and gambling institutions. It is a fun game that is liked by many because it has a low house edge and the fact that you only get to play against the dealer is a good thing for bashful gamblers.
The goal of the game is for the player to simply beat the dealer’s hands by coming up with a pair that is either close to 21 or hits the exact number. Each card has a corresponding value which will be explained in the article.
Read until the end to learn more about the game, in the simplest way possible.
Blackjack or the ’21 game’, for some, is pretty easy to play. The goal of the game is to get a pair of cards that amount to 21 or close to that number without busting (or going over 21).
Every card that you hold has a corresponding value. All of the numbered cards (regardless of suit) has the same value as the number that is printed on the card. So, if you’ve got 10 clubs, that means that that specific card is equivalent to ten.
Any face card (which means either jack, queen, or king) is valued at 10 as well. The ace card is a pretty special card because it can either have 11 or 1. Which value you should choose will depend on what is favorable to you, given your situation.
The game is played on a standard deck of cards but most casinos might use more than 4 (usually six or eight) in an effort to stop card counting strategies to be used while in play.
After you’ve been handed your pair of cards, you will have some specific moves that you can signal to the dealer. They are:
- Stand- This move can be done to complete the round. You should only stand if you are satisfied with the cards that you’ve got. A good strategy would be to stand if you have 17 or a pair that has a much higher value
- Hit- There are times that you are dealt with a bad pair. If this is the case, you can have more cards that you can use to somehow improve your odds of winning. Keep in mind that you should never go beyond 21, otherwise, you lose the game (because it will result in a bust)
- Double- Before you begin the game, the dealer will ask you to place your bets. If you are feeling lucky and the pair of cards that you have might win the game, you can double down on your original bet, effectively matching it to get even more rewards. As a customary measure, you are also given one additional card as well
- Split- This option is only made available if you’ve gotten the same value of cards at the same time. To split, you must double your original bet and you will be given two additional cards, effectively making two different pairs of cards. You cannot split two Aces, however, and you will only be given one card instead of two
- Insurance- Now, the dealer should show one of their cards to the players. If the face-up card is an Ace, you will be given the chance to take an insurance bet which essentially pays 2:1. Even if you lose, you will still get even money. Take this at your own risk because you might end up paying more just to get your original wager back
- Surrender- Forfeit the game and get a portion of your initial bet back.